THIS IS A BETA!
“Today on Broadway” is a daily, Monday through Friday, podcast hitting the top theatre headlines of the day.
1. Ham @ White House
2. Opening / Closing
4. Weekly Grosses
1) Hamilton performance at the White House
Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, Sir
Freestylin with The President in the Rose Garden
2) OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
– Pulitzer Prize winner Kenneth Lonergan’s new play “Hold on to Me Darling” opened on Monday at the Atlantic Theater. The show stars Emmy-nominee Timothy Olyphant, Tony-nominee Jonathan Hogan, and Adelaide Clemens, who is one of the stars of the show Rectify, which is one of my five favorite shows on TV.
Directed by the Atlantic’s Artistic Director Neil Pepe, The play tells the story of a famous country music singer who begins to question the meaning of his life after his mother’s death, and runs through Sunday, April 3rd.
– Ideation opens at 59E59 tonight. The show is a psychological thriller with a dark comic edge, and is presented by the San Francisco Playhouse, and runs through April 17th.
– Shuffle Along reminder- First preview today, Tuesday March 15th at the Music Box, and I will be anxiously awaiting the reports back from folks that got tickets to the first performance.
The big casting news of the day is that WICKED and HAIRSPRAY favorite Shoshana Bean will be playing Fanny Brice in North Shore’s production of Funny Girl this summer. The North Shore Music Theatre is in Beverly, Massachusetts, and Funny Girl will run from June 7th-19th.
One thing to keep in mind about this casting is that Shoshana is an admittedly huge Barbra Streisand fan, and I imagine that this is one of those dream roles, so if you are in the Boston area, this summer, don’t miss out.
Musicals Tonight also announced the casting for their revival of DO RE MI, The Jule Styne and Comden and Green show for this spring. Patrick John Moran will be playing Hubie Cram, Laura Daniel will be playing Kay, and Daniel Marcus, Roger Rifkin, Michael Scott, Beth De Michele, and Tyler Milliron will also be featured. Do Re Me will run at The Lion Theatre on 42nd from March 22-April 3rd.
Then yesterday, we also had some fun TV musical casting to talk about. First the Fox Rocky Horror Show event has found it’s Usherette in singer Ivy Levan and Chad Michael Murray, from Marvel’s Agent Carter and One Tree Hill will be playing Sun Records Music Executive Sam Phillips in CMT’s TV adaptation of MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET. If you saw the role on Broadway, that is the role that Hunter Foster originated.
4) Weekly Grosses
As they do every week, The Broadway League released the weekly grosses yesterday, and it looks like spring is starting on Broadway. 30 of the 31 shows that were on Broadway last week saw an increase in their revenue, but don’t feel badly for the one that didn’t, because it was Hamilton, which, despite a drop in $7,668 is still 131% of it’s Gross Potential, pulling in $1,758,555.
5) New York Superintendent Bans Swastikas from a HS production of The Producers